- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter divided – 1 tablespoon & 3 tablespoons
- 2 tablespoons flour
- ¼ cup heavy cream
- 1 cup sharp cheddar cheese shredded
- 1 cup Colby-jack cheese shredded
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- ½ tablespoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon mustard dried
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 3 cups water
- 4 ¼ cups milk divided – 1 ¼ cups & 3 cups
- 8 oz. macaroni noodles uncooked
Turn the Instant Pot on the sauté setting for 25 minutes (although you may not need this entire amount of time).
Fill the Instant Pot stainless steel inner pot with 3 cups of milk, 3 cups of water and 1 tablespoon of butter.
Pro tip: For baked mac and cheese the Black way, use milk to coat the macaroni and give it a smooth, silky texture. Perfect for layering on cheese!
Once the liquid begins to simmer, add the macaroni and cook according to the package directions, stirring occasionally to make sure the macaroni does not clump & stick.
Drain the macaroni and set it aside.
Add the 3 tablespoons of butter to the empty inner pot and turn it back on the sauté setting.
When the butter is melted, add the flour, 1 ¼ cups of milk, and seasonings (salt, pepper, garlic powder, onion powder, dried mustard and paprika) and whisk until smooth.
Change the Instant Pot cook setting from sauté to slow cook for 1-hour (although you will not need this entire amount of time).
While the cook setting changes from sauté to slow cook, allow the ingredients to simmer for about 3 minutes until the mixture thickens slightly.
Stir in the cheeses (reserve some for topping when baking).
Close the Instant Pot with the lid and let slow cook for 5-10 minutes until the cheeses are blended.
Open the lid to add the cooked pasta and the heavy cream to the inner pot, stirring the mixture to blend evenly.
Transfer the pasta mixture into an 8-inch cast iron skillet or baking pan.
Top with the remaining shredded cheese.
Bake in the Instant Pot Omni Plus oven at 350 degrees F for 20 minutes or until golden and bubbly. Or bake in the conventional oven for 25 minutes or until mac and cheese is golden and bubbly.
Optionally, garnish with a sprinkle of dry thyme or 4-5 fresh thyme sprigs.
Serve and enjoy!
- Start with a good quality macaroni.
- Making baked mac and cheese the Black way - boil the macaroni in a mixture of half water and half milk. The milk coats the macaroni and gives it a smooth, silky texture. Perfect for layering on cheese!
- Make sure not to walk away from the Instant Pot when using the sauté setting to avoid burning or over-cooking your food.
- Make sure you're using a baking dish that's not too deep. An 8-inch baking pan or 8-inch cast iron skillet are perfect for this oven recipe!
Calories: 522kcal | Carbohydrates: 40g | Protein: 21g | Fat: 31g | Saturated Fat: 19g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 1g | Monounsaturated Fat: 8g | Trans Fat: 1g | Cholesterol: 92mg | Sodium: 541mg | Potassium: 386mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 10g | Vitamin A: 1094IU | Vitamin C: 1mg | Calcium: 505mg | Iron: 1mg