Ingredients for the cornbread
- 8 ½ oz cornbread mix Jiffy Corn Muffin Mix, 1 box
- ¼ cup sugar granulated (*can be omitted if you don’t prefer cornbread sweet)
- 4 tablespoons butter unsalted
- 3 oz cream cheese whipped cream cheese
- 4 oz heavy whipping cream
Ingredients for the soul food cornbread dressing
- ¼ cup butter unsalted
- 2 tablespoons butter unsalted
- 1 cup yellow onion diced
- 1 cup celery diced
- 1 tablespoon thyme fresh or dried
- 1 tablespoon rosemary fresh or dried
- 1 teaspoon sage ground
- ¼ cup parsley finely chopped
- ½ cup chicken stock or chicken broth (Use vegetable broth to make this dish vegetarian.)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- 1 egg large
Instructions for the cornbread
Preheat the conventional oven or Instant Pot Omni Plus oven to bake at 350 degrees for 10 minutes (although you may not use all of this time for melting the butter).
Place the 4 tablespoons of butter in an 8-inch skillet and melt in the oven for approximately 5 minutes.
While the butter is melting, combine the Jiffy cornbread mix, sugar, cream cheese, and heavy cream in a medium-size mixing bowl.
Pour the melted butter from the skillet into the mixing bowl and mix all the ingredients together.
Pour the cornbread mixture into the skillet.
Bake at 350 degrees F. In the conventional oven for 25-30 minutes. Instant Pot Omni Plus oven for 23-25 minutes.
When the baking time has finished, allow the cornbread to cool for approx 10 minutes.
Cut the bread lengthwise and then across into 1-inch bread cubes and set aside.
Instructions for Black folks cornbread dressing
Grease an 8″ or similar-sized baking dish and set it aside.
Remove the lid from the Instant Pot and turn on the sauté setting for 8 minutes.
With the lid off, melt ¼ cup of butter.
Add the chopped onion, celery, thyme, rosemary, and sage.
Stir to coat the vegetables in the herbs and melted butter and then sauté until they soften and slightly brown.
Add the chicken stock, salt, and pepper to the inner pot's simmer, and stir to combine.
Remove the herb mixture from heat and set aside.
Allow the mixture to cool to the touch so that it can be mixed with the egg. (You don’t want the egg to cook from the residual heat and scramble!)
While the herbs are cooling off, beat the egg with the parsley in a medium-sized bowl.
Gently fold in the cornbread cubes to coat with the egg.
Pour in the cooled herb mixture into the egg mixture.
Transfer the mixture to the pre-greased baking dish.
Cut the 2 tablespoons of butter into small pats and place them all around on top of the dressing.
Cover the baking dish with foil and bake at 350 degrees F. 35 minutes in the conventional oven. In the Instant Pot Omni Plus oven for 30 minutes.
Uncover and bake until golden, 10-15 more minutes (conventional oven), 10 minutes (Instant Pot Omni Plus oven).
Serve cornbread dressing warm, and enjoy!
Optional – serve with gravy on top.
Why is your cornbread dressing mushy?
How do you fix dry stuffing?
- When you’re adding ingredients to the mix and stirring the batter, try not to overwork it, so you don’t break down the cornbread, which could cause the dressing to have a mushy texture.
- The dressing before it’s baked should be moist but not watery or gummy. If you find that your stuffing is too wet, you can add a few slices of cubed honey wheat bread to soak up the extra liquid.
You can fix dry stuffing with a few tablespoons of melted butter or chicken stock, or broth.
Remember, try not to overwork the stuffing when adding ingredients and mixing. You don’t want to break down the cornbread, which will cause the dressing to then have a mushy texture.
Calories: 283kcal | Carbohydrates: 33g | Protein: 6g | Fat: 14g | Saturated Fat: 7g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 1g | Monounsaturated Fat: 5g | Trans Fat: 1g | Cholesterol: 56mg | Sodium: 667mg | Potassium: 217mg | Fiber: 3g | Sugar: 16g | Vitamin A: 725IU | Vitamin C: 6mg | Calcium: 92mg | Iron: 1mg