They are rich in flavor and yield a naturally creamy texture when baked. Their inherent sweetness is the base for favorite African-American recipes.
What type of sweet potatoes are best for sweet potato pie?
It’s always best to know what mistakes to avoid when making this iconic Southern soul food dessert. Either Jewel or Beauregard sweet potatoes are recommended to make the best sweet potato pie.
Learn more about why in my post about what type of sweet potatoes are best for sweet potato pie.
Do you peel sweet potatoes before boiling?
Yes, and the easiest method is to use an Instant Pot pressure cooker to soften and peel the sweet potatoes quickly and almost effortlessly to prepare them for mashing.
Is it better to boil or bake sweet potatoes?
Roasting or pressure cooking the sweet potatoes is recommended over boiling or steaming, as the intense heat breaks down the starches into sugars, resulting in a sweeter and more flavorful pie filling.
Then, you simply gather the potato flesh and discard the skin. Mix the potato flesh with the sweet potato pie spices in an electric mixer to make the pie filling, and pour the filling into the pie crust.
Can you microwave sweet potatoes for sweet potato pie?
Don’t try to save time using a microwave because your sweet potatoes may cook unevenly. And the microwave is likely to take longer with more check-ins. Because pressure cooking is a simple close-the-lid and walk-away process.
Do sweet potatoes get sweeter when baked?
Sweet potatoes need time in the hot oven for their enzymes to convert starch into sugar. Because of the intense oven temperature or pressurization, roasting (baking above 400 degrees F) or pressure cooking are the best methods for preparing sweet potatoes for sweet potato pie to make them the sweetest.
Can you use the Instant Pot to cook sweet potatoes?
So, in conclusion, pressure cooking or roasting sweet potatoes is the best way to cook them for sweet potato pie.
If you have an Instant Pot, it’s the fastest way and the way I recommend to cook sweet potatoes. Then, you can peel them easily once the water is drained and the potatoes are cooled. Check out my recipe instructions below!
How to cook sweet potatoes for sweet potato pie?
- Pressure cook or roast the sweet potatoes – The easiest method is to use an Instant Pot pressure cooker to soften and peel the sweet potatoes quickly and almost effortlessly to prepare them for sweet potato pie.
- Drain the cooked sweet potatoes into a colander.
- Peel the sweet potatoes once they have cooled to the touch.
- Gather the potato flesh and discard the skin.
- Then, use my recipe below to make the best sweet potato pie recipe!
Did you enjoy this guide about the best way to cook sweet potatoes guide?
Have you had it?
Would you make it?
Comment below and lemme know.
- Instant Pot electric pressure cooker
- 1 ½ pound sweet potatoes washed and scrubbed (equals about 3 cups when softened and peeled)
- 3 quarts water Fill a 6-quart Instant Pot's stainless-steel inner pot with water to the ½ mark.
- Open the Instant Pot lid and fill the stainless-steel inner pot with water to the ½ mark.
- Add the scrubbed sweet potatoes to the pot of water.
- Close the Instant Pot lid (make sure the valve is up – in the position for sealing) and pressure cook on high for 12 minutes to loosen the potato skin.
- When the cooking time is finished, allow a natural pressure release for at least 12 minutes.
- To open the Instant Pot lid, move the valve to ‘venting’ and manually release any remaining pressure, if applicable.
- Pour the water and sweet potatoes into a colander in the sink to drain the hot water from the potatoes.
- Once the sweet potatoes are cool to the touch, peel and discard the skin.
- Gather 3 cups of sweet potato flesh.