For one of the best lemon desserts of all time, make lemon meltaway cookies. They taste just like summer!
Lemon meltaway cookies are a sweet Southern treat. They’re crumbly little lemon cookies made with lemon juice and zesty lemon icing.
Summer started yesterday, and oh how we’ll miss our mid-summer July road trip to upstate Aurora, New York.
This means our annual pilgrimage, trekking up interstate 95, will not happen in 2020 (along with many other canceled adventures).
I’ll miss the rolling green hills, the smell of undisturbed, fresh wide open air, and the majestic beauty of the widest and largest of the Finger Lakes, Lake Cayuga.
Watch the video: how to make sweet Southern lemon meltaway cookies
Shop my kitchenware!
Courtly Check small pedestal | Hearth & Hand similar plate | Pioneer Woman similar white plate | Courtly Check glass cutting board | Williams-Sonoma stainless steel mixing bowl | Amazon heart measuring spoons | Target small spatula | Target lemon zest grater | Courtly Check glass canister | Amazon small glass dish | Courtly Check relish dish | Target whisk | Pyrex measuring glass | Target set of cookie pans | Courtly Check small mesh dome cover |
I can sit for hours in an Adirondack chair and enjoy sunsets lakeside at Cayuga, especially after my favorite entree, apples and duck paté, from the Aurora Inn. Or homemade lemon pastries next to the inn at the village convenience store.
Lemon meltaway cookies remind me of the quaint village of Aurora. The lone bakery in the one-street town has a showcase full of treats, including lemon pastries inside a glass case.
Lemon meltaway cookies are the Southern version of that favorite NY treat
The thing is, you have to get up early to indulge in lemon meltaways.
Otherwise, the quaint little town of 900 becomes overrun by a happy-go-lucky mob of 20,000 eclectic ladies (of which I am one) and their families who arrive for the sale. (Although whimsical and happy, never the less they (we) are still a mob in a village!)
You see, if you arrive late to the store, you’ll find that these out of town ladies have eaten up all the lemon meltaways!
The one (and only) good thing I can say that’s come out of a canceled Barn Sale (and I’m really reaching here with this one thing) is that it forced me to learn how to make lemon meltaway cookies at home.
You can make them at home, too! Here’s how:
Lemon meltaway cookies recipe
Lemon meltaway cookie ingredients
- 1 ¼ cup of flour
- ½ cup of cornstarch
- 1/3 cup of powdered sugar
- ¾ cup of butter softened (Note: For the cookie dough’s proper set-up, it’s essential that the butter is softened and not melted.)
- 1 teaspoon of grated lemon peel
- 1 ¼ tablespoon of lemon juice
Lemon glaze icing ingredients
- 1 oz of melted butter
- ¾ cup of powdered sugar
- 1 tablespoon of lemon juice
1. Mix all the cookie ingredients in a medium-size mixing bowl.
2. In your hands, roll the cookies into 1 inch balls and place them on a greased cookie sheet, 2 inches apart.
3. Place the bottom of a glass on top of the cookies to flatten them.
4. Bake for 12 minutes at 350 degrees or until the edges lightly brown.
5. Let the cookies cool for an hour before frosting.
Lemon glaze instructions
1. Make the frosting glaze by combining all the ingredients for the glaze and mixing well with a whisk to remove any lumps from the powdered sugar.
2. Frost the cooled cookies with a dollop a cookie by way of a spoon or spatula.
3. Sprinkle cookies with lemon zest to finish.
4. Serve and enjoy!
* After about 6 hours, the frosting glaze will harden, and you’ll be able to stack your lemon meltaway cookies!
Christmas lemon meltaway cookies
Your favorite Southern summer cookies still have a home for the holidays.
Just add your favorite Christmas sprinkles!
What do you think about this Southern desserts recipe?
If you like this recipe, then you’ll love this best Southern desserts recipe roundup HERE.
Leave a 5-star rating and a comment below, and share your finished dessert pictures HERE in the Facebook group!
This post appeared first on ShaundaNecole.com on June 22, 2020.
Lemon Meltaway Cookie Ingredients
- 1 ¼ cup flour
- ½ cup cornstarch
- 1/3 cup powdered sugar
- ¾ cup butter Note: For the cookie dough’s proper set-up, it’s essential that the butter is softened and not melted.
- 1 teaspoon lemon peel grated
- 1 ¼ tablespoon lemon juice
Lemon glaze ingredients
- 1 oz butter melted
- ¾ cup powdered sugar
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- Mix all the cookie ingredients in a medium-size mixing bowl.
- In your hands, roll the cookies into 1 inch balls and place them on a greased cookie sheet, 2 inches apart.
- Place the bottom of a glass on top of the cookies to flatten them.
- Bake for 12 minutes at 350 degrees or until the edges lightly brown.
- Let the cookies cool for an hour before frosting.
Lemon Glaze Instructions
- Make the frosting glaze by combining all the ingredients for the glaze and mixing well with a whisk to remove any lumps from the powdered sugar.
- Frost the cooled cookies with a dollop a cookie by way of a spoon or spatula.
- After about 6 hours, the frosting glaze will harden, and you’ll be able to stack your lemon meltaway cookies!
- Sprinkle cookies with lemon zest to finish.
- Serve and enjoy!