Are you looking to serve up the best Easter dinner soul food menu this holiday? With the ultimate spread of Southern soul food Easter desserts?
Then you’re in the right place! This post is a one-stop-shop for all your Southern and soul food Easter desserts… That aren’t all made of chocolate!
What are Southern soul food Easter desserts?
Southern soul food desserts are classic after-dinner favorites primarily from African American recipes in the Southern United States. Enjoyed especially on special occasions and holidays like Easter.
So these desserts go beyond Southern and include a legacy of Black folks’ soul food, sugar, and spice!
Including your favorite Black folks’ inspired dessert recipes and sweet treats, like Southern ambrosia salad, Black folks Southern banana pudding, Black folks sweet potato pie, and more!
What are some traditional Easter desserts?
These aren’t your traditional Easter desserts!
Yes, there’s the classic Easter carrot cake.
But I’ve used the Instant Pot pressure cooker or the Instant Pot Omni Plus oven to make the same Southern comfort food desserts.
The buttery-rich flavors you expect. But in a fraction of the traditional time!
Your taste buds will be delighted by these tried and true traditional desserts – now quicker and easier to make for your Easter celebration.
What better way to celebrate Easter than with these colorful desserts?
These are Easter dessert recipes for the same classic Southern desserts – with a new contemporary twist! Because these classic Southern soul food recipes are reimagined with the revolutionary Instant Pot.
Easy for anyone to make and everyone to love!
How many desserts do you need?
Pin the below image to your Pinterest “Soul Food Recipes” board!
What are some ways to make any dessert more festive for Easter?
Plate your Easter treats with festive plates and serving ware. Or add to the center of the table a decorative Easter bunny or Easter basket with chocolate eggs and Easter candy.
Then classic dishes remain classic favorites simply decorated to fit the occasion.
Black folks banana pudding and Instant Pot banana pudding made from scratch. Strawberry pretzel salad – also known as strawberry pretzel pie.
Little Southern desserts called pie crust cookies and Southern Living chocolate lava cakes.
And the list goes on and on, from an Instant Pot banana bread loaf to soul food bread pudding and purple sweet potato pie!
Who even needs a floral centerpiece when you have a purple sweet potato pie on your Easter brunch table?
- Pie crust cookies Southern desserts
What’s better than cookies? How about Easter cookies? And cute little pie crust ones! Heavenly, crispy, and flaky pie crust cookie bites. Get the best flavors of each season in every bite.
- Soul food apple pie recipe
This sweet soul food apple pie recipe is not difficult to make, and any beginner can master it.
- Black folks Southern peach cobbler recipe
Southern peach cobbler is an iconic Southern dessert first created with biscuit dough, dropped over sliced peaches, and placed at the bottom of an iron pot. It was baked in an open hearth, cooking over hot coals for… Presto – peach cobbler!
- Southern ambrosia salad
Most Southern ambrosia recipes contain canned fruit or fresh fruit like Dole pineapple chunks, canned mandarin or navel orange slices, miniature marshmallows, whipped cream, cream cheese, and coconut flakes.
- Instant Pot cheesecake
- Southern Living chocolate lava cake recipe
What’s better than chocolate cheesecake? These tiny little chocolate Easter cakes.
- Instant Pot Southern banana pudding from scratch
Southern-style creamy pudding? Why not?
Pudding, soft bananas, airy whipped cream, and crisp Nilla Wafers cookies…
Instant Pot Banana pudding is a Southern dessert specialty that everyone should know how to make from scratch. I’ve made it even easier to learn how with this Instant Pot recipe.
- Strawberry pretzel salad
This Southern dessert isn’t just any salad; it’s the new queen of salads! A classic Southern dessert and a decadent dish called a salad. Probably because it won’t leave you feeling weighed down as many heavy desserts do!
- Lemon meltaway cookies
Sweet sugar cookies infused with lemon zest – who can resist? So if you want to serve the most popular cookie in the South, make this ultimate Southern cookie treat.
- Lemon fruit dip with cream cheese
- TikTok booty dip recipe
- Strawberry rhubarb pie
The strawberry-rhubarb filling provides tart flavor, with sweet notes balanced by a crust that’s crunchy around the edges yet still tender in the middle. It’s very symbolic of what Spring has to offer. This pie will have you looking forward to warmer days that have arrived.
- Lemon zucchini bread
This classic bread is a perfect light dessert, snack, or even a quick breakfast. Made with an all-natural blend of zucchini and lemon zest, the bread comes out full of flavor and is perfect for any occasion!
- Instant Pot banana bread
Banish the days of dry and flavorless quick bread! Instant Pot banana bread puts a stop to bland bakery loaves with ultra-moist banana goodness within an hour!
Black folks Easter desserts
What do African-Americans eat for Easter?
Check out these best recipes for some of what Black folks include on our soul food Easter desserts menu.
- Black folks Southern soul food carrot cake
- Black folks Southern banana pudding
Why would you serve another type of pudding when it could be Black folks Southern banana pudding?
This mouth-watering recipe has been tempting Southerners for generations with ingredients like cream cheese and vanilla wafer cookies. There’s nothing like this Southern dessert recipe’s whipped creamy texture and sweet taste.
- Black folks chocolate Southern banana pudding recipe
- Black folks Southern pecan pie recipe
- Black folks Southern bread pudding
Not a fan of pecans or raisins? This Southern bread pudding recipe doesn’t include nuts, and the raisins can be substituted!
- Black folks baked apples
Is it a dessert or a side dish? Of course, it’s 100% a dessert if you add vanilla ice cream! But you can let guests decide the role of this conversation starter recipe at your next Thanksgiving dinner or Christmas feast!!
- Black folks sweet potato pie
What’s the secret to the filling? Black folks’ deep-south sweet potato pie is somewhere between a Southern candied yam and an old-fashioned gingersnap!
- Purple sweet potato pie
How gorgeous is this pastel purple pie? Try Black folks sweet potato pie’s contemporary cousin made with Stokes purple sweet potatoes!
- Southern sweet potato pie
What makes this sweet potato pie Southern? It’s the addition of the smooth velvety cream cheese frosting!
- Soul food almond flour pie crust
An almond flour pie crust is so easy to make, just like a regular pie crust. Even if you don’t have any baking experience at all, trust me, you’ll be able to whip this up in minutes!
- Black folks Southern tea cakes
More easy Easter recipes
- Southern deviled eggs
Why buy Cadbury Creme Eggs when you can make them yourself? Well, not exactly Cadbury style. But how about a Southern Easter favorite instead? Southern soul food deviled eggs! They’re the best type of Easter eggs. Easy-to-make show stoppers for your upcoming Easter menu.
- Soul food chicken and waffles
Who says pancakes can’t be dessert? Or waffles? No one, so add this soul food recipe to your Easter brunch menu.
- White hot chocolate
People often ask, “Will Starbucks be open on Easter Sunday?” I dunno. But before Easter officially ushers in spring, you can get your last sips of winter by making this easy Starbucks copycat white hot chocolate recipe.
What do you think about this list of best Southern soul food Easter desserts?
Which of these desserts are you planning to make this Easter?
Leave your answer in a comment below and follow me HERE for all the soul food!
Like this post? Pin the below image to your Pinterest “Soul Food Recipes” board!
- 9x13 baking dish
- 3 bananas ripe & sliced into 1″ discs
- 8 oz. whipped cream 1 container
- 8 oz. cream cheese 1 container, whipped
- 4.6 oz. vanilla pudding 1 box of cook & serve
- 11 oz. Nilla Wafers 1 box and ¼ cup of crumbled Nilla Wafers cookies
- Make the instant pudding according to the pudding mixture instructions and set it aside in the refrigerator.
- In a medium-sized bowl, mix the whipped topping and cream cheese and set aside.
- Line the bottom and sides of a 9×13 baking pan with Nilla Wafer cookies.
- Add a layer of banana slices over the Nilla Wafers.
- Using a small spatula, spread the vanilla pudding evenly over the bananas.
- Add a layer of the whipped topping and cream cheese mixture over the layer of pudding.
- Sprinkle the ¼ cup of crumbled cookies all over the top layer of whipped cream.
- Allow the banana pudding to chill in the refrigerator for at least 2 hours.
- Serve this banana pudding Southern soul food Easter dessert and enjoy!
- Plate your Easter treats with festive plates and serving ware. Or add to the center of the table a decorative Easter bunny or Easter basket with chocolate eggs and Easter candy.
- This recipe can be made per the instructions and transferred to individual baking cups, ramekins or mason jars for a festive Easter presentation!
- Refrigerate for a couple of hours and then slice pieces carefully to preserve the banana pudding layers when transferring.
- You can use the dynamic recipe card above to adjust the serving size for the proportionate amount of ingredients you’ll need.