Are you asking yourself, “What can I cook for Valentine’s Day?”
Or, what are some Valentine’s Day flavors to try?
- Southern Living chocolate lava cake
- Strawberry cheesecake
- Lobster tail
- Creamy mashed potatoes
- Or even lobster macaroni and cheese
You’re in the right place for romantic dinner ideas for two that don’t skimp on seasoning and flavor!
These are Southern soul food Valentine’s Day dishes you can make in minutes and the best ever Valentine’s recipes.
That’s because you already know that the key to your lover’s heart is straight through their stomach!
What food do you eat on Valentine’s Day?
Including soul food side dishes for the perfect start to a beautiful meal. Along with decadent entrées and desserts.
And the best part about these recipes?
35 most popular Southern soul food recipes for Valentine’s Day dinner
Plan on staying in and cooking for Valentine’s Day?
Well, here’s a list of my most popular and easy Valentine’s Day main course and side dish recipes.
Easy soul food Valentine’s Day side dishes
What is a sweet thing to eat on Valentine’s Day?
Check out these best Southern Valentine’s Day recipes for dessert.
Where is the best place to celebrate Valentine’s Day?
Start with these easy and delicious Southern soul food recipes for Valentine’s dinner that will make your lover’s heart skip a beat!
But if you still need Valentine’s Day dinner specials, check out this article about Valentine’s Day specials at Bonefish Grill HERE!
What do you think of these best Valentine’s Day Southern soul food recipes?
Strawberries, cherries, cheesecake, chocolate cake, lobster, filet mignon, and more! Which recipes will make your dinner menu list?
More soul food recipes to love!
Anytime someone asks the question, what exactly is soul food? Tell them to start here!
- Instant Pot 7.7-inch round pan (or an 8″ round cake pan if not using Instant Pot)
- Instant Pot baking sling (for Instant Pot)
- KitchenAid stand mixer or electric mixer
- Aluminum foil (for Instant Pot)
- Paper towel (for Instant Pot)
- Cake scraper (optional for ease in frosting a layered red velvet cake)
For the cake
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup sugar granulated
- ⅓ teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ⅓ cup butter softened
- ¼ cup mayonnaise
- ¾ cup sour cream
- 3 eggs
- ⅓ cup vegetable oil
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- ⅔ cup buttermilk
- 1 tablespoon vinegar white
- 4 tablespoons food coloring red (liquid or gel)
- 1 cup chocolate chips mini, semi-sweet chocolate chips (optional)
- ¾ cup water (for the Instant Pot)
For the frosting
- 8 oz cream cheese softened or whipped cream cheese
- ¼ cup butter unsalted, softened
- 2 ½ cups powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
Instructions for Southern Black folks red velvet cake
- Grease a round cake pan and set it aside.
- Starting with the wet ingredients, in a medium-sized mixing bowl, combine the buttermilk and vinegar, stir, and set aside.
- In a separate medium-sized mixing bowl, combine the all-purpose flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, and salt, stirring well to blend, and set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl with an electric mixer, mix the butter and sugar until creamy for 2-3 minutes.
- Add the vegetable oil and mix again.
- Add the eggs one by one, beating each one into the butter mixture.
- Then add the mayonnaise and sour cream and electric mix again.
- Add the red food coloring and mix gently with a rubber spatula to achieve a batter with an intensive red color.
- Next, pour in the vinegar and buttermilk mixture into the red batter.
- Gradually pour in the dry ingredients flour mixture that was set aside.
- Then gently fold in the chocolate chips (optional) as you combine all the ingredients into the batter.
- Mix gently with the rubber spatula until all ingredients are absorbed into the batter, and the mixture is uniform.
- Pour the batter into the greased pan.
- Bake the red velvet cake at 350 degrees F for 25-35 minutes in a conventional oven or the Instant Pot Omni Plus oven until a toothpick inserted in the center of the cakes comes out clean.
- * If you’re using an Instant Pot for this recipe, continue with all the instructions. If baking your cake- skip to instruction number 22 and then 24-27: Cover the top of the baking pan with a paper towel, and wrap it tightly with aluminum foil, keeping the foil and the paper loose, so there’s room for the cake to rise.
- Open the Instant Pot lid and pour 3/4 cup of water into the stainless steel inner pot.
- Place the cake pan into the Instant Pot baking sling and place the sling with the cake pan into the inner pot.
- Close the Instant Pot lid (make sure the valve is up – in the position for sealing) and pressure cook on high for 50 minutes.
- When the cooking time is finished, allow a natural pressure release for at least 20 minutes.
- To open the Instant Pot lid, move the valve to ‘venting’ and manually release any remaining pressure, if applicable.
- Use the baking sling handles to remove the pan from the Instant Pot.
- Test the cake to see if it’s done by inserting a toothpick in the center. If it comes out clean, your cake is ready!
- If it’s not ready, wrap the pan again with a paper towel and aluminum foil, cook for 10 more minutes, and then allow a natural pressure release for 10 minutes.
- Let the cake cool for at least 10 minutes before removing it from the pan.
- Then, remove the cake from the pan and let it cool to room temperature before icing it.
- This Southern Black folk’s red velvet cake recipe is usually served with icing (but it doesn’t have to be).
- Serve and enjoy!
Instructions for the cream cheese frosting
- *See the pro tips in the notes below for frosting a layered red velvet and creating a decorative crumb coating.
- Add the butter and cream cheese to a large mixing bowl.
- Using an electric mixer, beat the mixture on medium speed for 2 minutes.
- Turn the mixer down to low and gradually add the powdered sugar and vanilla extract.
- Once the ingredients are combined, turn the mixer up to medium and beat for another 2 minutes.
- Spread the cream cheese frosting onto the cooled red velvet cake.
- Optionally, garnish with chopped pecans, crushed pecans, or red velvet cake crumbs.
- Pro tip: Refrigerating a cake with cream cheese frosting for a few hours will give it a firm texture, making slicing easy upon serving.
- Slice, serve & enjoy!
- To make a layered red velvet cake, bake at least two cakes, and frost the top of the cake, which will be the bottom layer.
- This frosting makes the inner layer of frosting for the layered cake – and a little frosting here goes a long way!
- Then stack one cake on the other, inverting the top cake, so the bottom side of this layer is now the top, for a flat look on the cake.
- Now frost the cake stack, using a cake scraper to make a nice clean coat of frosting on the outside of the cake around the stacked layers.
- Before frosting, shave off a fine layer of the bottom cake and crumble it for a red velvet cake crumb coating after frosting.
- Refrigerate the frosted cake for 15 minutes to firm up the icing before the final crumb coating.